Scott A. Livingston, Chair of Rifkin Weiner Livingston LLC’s State Contracting, Procurement and Bid Protests practice has been the attorney of record in more than 50 decisions published by the Maryland State Board of Contract Appeals. He provides legal services to government contractors relating to bid protests, litigation and settlement of claims against agencies of the state of Maryland.
Previously, Mr. Livingston served for seven years as an Assistant Attorney General with the Maryland Department of Transportation. He has also served as a member of Governor Glendening’s 1996 Task Force on Procurement, and has taught an advanced seminar on Maryland procurement law at the University of Maryland School of Law.
- Laurel Racing Association, Inc. v. Video Lottery Facility Location Commission, 409 Md. 445, 975 A.2d 894 (2009)
- State Center, LLC v. Lexington Charles Ltd. Partnership, 438 Md. 451, 92 A.3d 400 (2014)
- Concrete General, Inc. v. Washington Suburban Sanitary Commission, 779 F. Supp. 370 (D. Md. 1991)
- Maryland Port Administration v. C.J. Langenfelder & Son, Inc., 438 A.2d 1374 (Md. Ct. Spec. App. 1982)
- Represented numerous business, commercial and institutional interests in actions involving the State of Maryland and its agencies, including:
- Maryland Department of Transportation – State Highway Administration
- Maryland Department of Transportation – Maryland Transportation Administration
- Maryland Department of Transportation – Maryland Aviation Administration
- Maryland Department of Transportation – Maryland Transportation Authority
- Maryland Department of Transportation – Maryland Port Administration
- Maryland Department of Budget and Management
- Maryland Department of General Services
- Maryland Department of Health and Mental Hygiene
- Maryland Department of Human Resources
- Maryland Department of Public Safety and Correctional Services
- Maryland Division of State Documents
- Maryland Department of Housing and Community Development
- University of Maryland, College Park
PLEASE BE AWARE THAT EACH CASE IS DIFFERENT AND THE PAST RECORD IS NO ASSURANCE OF FAVORABLE RESULTS IN ANY FUTURE CASE.
- Awarded “Champion of Equal Justice” from Legal Aid of Maryland, for 17 years of pro bono procurement law advice that supported $102 million in contracts for legal services to Children in Need of Assistance
- Attorney of record in 50+ published docketed decisions of the Maryland State Board of Contract Appeals – more than any private law practitioner in Maryland
- Fellow for the National Endowment for the Humanities, “Justice and the Rule of Law” (1978)
Publications and Presentations
- “Principles of Maryland Procurement Law,” co-author with Lydia B. Hoover, 29 University of Baltimore Law Review 1 (2000)
- “Fair Treatment for Contractors Doing Business with the State of Maryland,” 1 University of Baltimore Law Review 215 (1986)
- Numerous lectures, seminars, and panels for Maryland Transportation Building Materials Association, Associated Builders and Contractors, and other trade associations
- Associate instructor at Johns Hopkins University on contract law, business in the legal environment and contract law for executives (1980-1984)
- Maryland (1976)
- Washington, D.C. (1976)
- U.S. Supreme Court (1977)
Mr. Livingston earned his Juris Doctor from Antioch School of Law, Washington, D.C. and his bachelor’s degree from Clark University, Worcester, Massachusetts.