Combining Procurement Law and Government Relations
With decades of experience in government as well as private practice, Rifkin Weiner Livingston LLC’s (RWL) team of attorneys focus on state contracting, procurement and bid protests. The group has successfully represented numerous government contractors, from major national companies to smaller local firms. RWL is among the leading law firms in Maryland that practice both procurement law and government relations, offering clients multifaceted legal representation.
Extensive Bid Protest Experience
RWL attorneys have been the attorneys of record in more than 50 docketed decisions published by the Maryland State Board of Contract Appeals.
Founding Partner Scott Livingston has more than 35 years of experience in bid protests, after serving as an Assistant Attorney General representing the State of Maryland on procurement issues. As an Assistant Attorney General, Mr. Livingston had a prominent role in drafting various procurement laws and COMAR regulations. He also is co-author of the “Principles of Maryland Procurement Law,” 29 U. Balt L. Rev. 1 (2000).
RWL has represented hundreds of contractors and vendors at the Maryland state and local levels.
Government Contract Services
- Bid protests and claims at the Procurement Officer, Maryland State Board of Contract Appeals, and judicial levels
- Litigation avoidance strategies
- Arbitration of disputes before the American Arbitration Association
- Settlement of claims of all types, especially heavy and highway construction contracts
- Compliance with Maryland ethics laws
- Compliance with MBE rules and regulations
Procurement-Based Legal Services
- Management of claims preparation, pricing, and litigation for prime contractors, owners, subcontractors, and Sureties in public works construction
- Development of proposals for state contracts in numerous areas including: health care, IT, correctional services, insurance, employment benefits, public-private partnerships, A/E, construction, Maryland Department of Transportation (port, airport, bridges, roads, etc.)
Contract Claims and Litigation
- Substantial experience in claims preparation and litigation on behalf of government contract clients
- Claims involving change orders, constructive changes, and equitable adjustments under various standard government clauses
- Disputes over interpretation of contracts and rights and obligations of the parties
Other Procurement Related Activities
- Appearances before tribunals that decide bid protests, including Maryland State Board of Contract Appeals, Maryland Circuit and Appellate Courts and the U.S. District Court for the District of Maryland
- Participated in matters before the Commission on Modernization of Maryland Procurement (report issued December, 2016)
- Upon request of elected officials, testimony before procurement committees at the Maryland General Assembly