Rita Piel is a member of the firm’s Business and Commercial Transactions and Sports Franchise and Media Rights Law groups.
Ms. Piel is a corporate transactional attorney in the areas of mergers, acquisitions, recapitalization, business formation, contract drafting and negotiation, stockholder and member agreements, financing and investment documents, and real estate matters. Ms. Piel handles intellectual property matters, including trademarks, copyrights and protection of technology. She also has extensive experience in reviewing, drafting and negotiating e-commerce, IT and web-related contracts, such as software development and licensing, SaaS, mobile app development and maintenance, e-commerce aggregation, social media analytics and integration, and commercial and vendor agreements.
Ms. Piel also has experience working with federal, state and local government contractors on transactional and litigation issues, including drafting, reviewing and advising on proposals; drafting and negotiating subcontractor, teaming and licensing agreements; and handling bid protests at the U.S. Government Accountability Office and the U.S. Court of Federal Claims.
Ms. Piel has experience with labor and employment matters, including employment agreements, employee relations, resolution of Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) complaints, employment handbooks, and employer policies and procedures.
- Public merger of Stanley and Black & Decker ($3.5 billion)
- Various M&A transactions for US Foods®
- Technology contract review for Under Armour®
- Contracts team for PricewaterhouseCoopers® (PwC)
- Private sales of various software companies ($100 million)
- Private sale of global manufacturing company ($15 million)
- Private sale of education company in government contracts space ($50 million)
- Private sale of federal benefits administration company ($8 million)
- Private sale of 17 fast food restaurant franchises ($25 million)
- Purchase of small accounting practice ($2 million)
- Purchase of construction equipment company ($30 million)
- Private sale of government contractor ABA therapy service provider ($5 million)
PLEASE BE AWARE THAT EACH CASE IS DIFFERENT AND THE PAST RECORD IS NO ASSURANCE OF FAVORABLE RESULTS IN ANY FUTURE CASE.
- Maryland Super Lawyers Rising Star (2013-2020)
- University of Maryland Law School mentor
- Duke University Alumni Association volunteer interviewer
- CJE Board member
Publications and Presentations
- Frequent presenter at MSBA Advanced Business Law Institute on Software/IP/IT issues
- Presenter for business leaders on choosing the best business entity and Operating Agreement fundamentals
- Maryland Healthy Working Families Act Summary Chart
- The CARES Act Paycheck Protection Program: Time-Sensitive Information for Businesses
- Families First Coronavirus Response Act: Covid-19 Legal Implications to Businesses
- Maryland (2008)
Ms. Piel received her Juris Doctor from the University of Maryland School of Law, cum laude where she served as an Associate Editor for the Maryland Law Review and received her bachelor’s degree with honors from Duke University.