Stephen Kuperberg is a member of the firm’s Complex Civil and Commercial Litigation, State Contracting and Bid Protests, Class Action and False Claims Acts groups. He joined RWL in September 2020.
Mr. Kuperberg has extensive experience investigating, prosecuting, and defending complex financial and healthcare fraud matters, pharmaceutical and medical device litigation, and complex commercial and civil matters. He is a graduate of the University of Michigan School of Law, where was he was Order of the Coif and later served as a federal law clerk for the Honorable Benson Legg with the U.S. District Court for the District of Maryland. Thereafter, Mr. Kuperberg practiced at Hogan Lovells and at Powers Pyles Sutter & Verville as well as serving both as a trial attorney with the Department of Justice Antitrust Division National Criminal Enforcement Section and as an Assistant State’s Attorney in Montgomery County, Maryland.
As a former state and federal prosecutor, Mr. Kuperberg has particular experience regarding antitrust matters, pharmaceutical and drug pricing matters, and complex ESI document productions. Outside the law, he also served for a time with the American Israel Public Affairs Committee and other national nonprofit advocacy organizations in Washington, D.C.
Publications and Presentations
- “Five Things Hospitals Can Do Now to Protect Themselves from EHR Incentive Payment
Pitfalls,” Bloomberg BNA’s Medicare Report, August 2017 (with Mark Fitzgerald and Jim Pyles)
- “Cartel Investigations Under Trump: Turning the Page, or Throwing the Book?” BNA Banking and BNA Antitrust, February 6, 2017
- “Expert Analysis: Do Not Expect Lax Financial Enforcement Under Trump,” Law360, December 23, 2016
- Biweekly column for The Times of Israel, January to December 2012
- “Whose Certification Is It Anyway? Limitations on Implied Certification Liability Under the Civil False Claims Act,” ABA Health Care Law Conference, January 2009 (with Jonathan Diesenhaus and Thomas Widor)
- Maryland (1997)
- District of Columbia (1998)
Mr. Kuperberg received his Juris Doctor from the University of Michigan Law School, where he graduated cum laude and Order of the Coif, and his bachelor’s degree from University of Michigan, with distinction.
- Assistant State’s Attorney, State’s Attorney Office for Montgomery County, Maryland (2002-2004)
- Trial Attorney, National Criminal Enforcement Section, U.S. Department of Justice Antitrust Division (2000-2002)
- Judicial Law Clerk, The Honorable Benson E. Legg, U.S. District Court for the District of Maryland (1997-1998)