William A. (Bill) Castelli is a partner and member of the firm’s Government Relations and Lobbying practice group. Bill brings a great depth of experience and knowledge with over 25 years of experience in government relations. Previously. he was Senior Vice President of Government Affairs for the Maryland REALTORS®, one of the largest professional trade associations in Maryland. Throughout his career, Bill has successfully lobbied bills and regulations impacting real property, professional licensing, land-use, environmental law, landlord-tenant law, state taxes, and common ownership communities. He is a past president of the Maryland Government Relations Association.
Bill started his career in Maryland politics working as a legislative assistant for Congressman Steny Hoyer. He is a member of the Maryland Bar and the U.S. Supreme Court Bar.
- Lead lobbyist on legislation reforming Maryland’s property tax law which triggered the return of hundreds of millions of dollars back to Maryland residential mortgage holders.
- Lead lobbyist in establishing tax free Homebuyer Savings Accounts.
- Lead lobbyist for permanently extending Mortgage debt tax forgiveness for property owners facing foreclosure.
- Lead lobbyist in making the Real Estate Commission a special fund supported Commission.
- Lead lobbyist in passing a comprehensive reform of the Real Estate Brokerage Act.
- Lead lobbyist in establishing a notice process in the land records for older easements on property.
- Key lobbyist in passing legislation permitting remote notarization in Maryland.
- Lobbied to establish a priority lien for common ownership communities.
- Lobbied numerous short term rental laws.
- Lead lobbyist in passing legislation requiring a Maryland Department of Environment grant for septic upgrades imposed on Maryland homeowners.
- Lobbied numerous amendments to landlord tenant bills.
- Lobbied amendments on environment, zoning and land use legislation.