Celeste Bruce is Co-chair of the firm’s Complex Civil and Commercial Litigation practice and has twenty-five years of experience in broad-based commercial and complex civil litigation in state and federal courts and before administrative and arbitral tribunals. Her experience includes litigating business and partnership disputes, land use and zoning matters, patent infringement, contract disputes, fraud, commercial bankruptcy adversarial proceedings, fraudulent transfers, preferences disputes, derivative claims and stockholder disputes, and other matters involving complex commercial and business law. Ms. Bruce’s experience also includes representation of clients involving sports franchise and media rights law, ADA compliance, state and local taxing issues, business torts, corporation and partnership dissolution, corporate governance, election law and referendum issues, franchise disputes and catastrophic injury and medical malpractice.
Ms. Bruce is a member of the Maryland State Bar Association, District of Columbia Bar Association, Federal Bar Association, Montgomery County Bar Association, Women’s Bar Associations of Maryland and Montgomery County, and American Bar Association. She is the immediate past president of the Federal Bar Association, Maryland Chapter and has been instrumental in creating and organizing the Maryland Chapter’s Women in the Law Program.
- Primary Counsel in successfully litigating land use and zoning entitlements on behalf of multi-national retail corporation
- Primary Counsel in successfully defending multi-million dollar lease termination dispute involving an off-track betting facility
- Primary Counsel representing RSN in contract dispute with auditor
- Primary Counsel in successfully litigating breach of employment agreements and stockholder purchase agreement on behalf of medical service provider corporation
- Primary Counsel in successfully defending derivative and other shareholder claims on behalf of construction company, resulting in termination of claimant shareholders’ rights
- Primary Counsel in successfully defending shareholder and partnership claims against President of a software company
- Primary Counsel in successfully litigating claims against neighboring land owner for contamination of client’s site
PLEASE BE AWARE THAT EACH CASE IS DIFFERENT AND THE PAST RECORD IS NO ASSURANCE OF FAVORABLE RESULTS IN ANY FUTURE CASE.
- Listed as a Super Lawyer for Maryland in Business Litigation/General Litigation (2010-2021)
- Litigation Counsel of America Fellow
- Maryland Pro Bono Service Award
- Maryland (1992)
- U.S. District Court for the District of Maryland (1993)
- U.S. District Court of the District of Columbia (1993)
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit (2005)
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit (1994)
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California (2014)
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit (2016)
Ms. Bruce received her Juris Doctor from Catholic University’s Columbus School of Law and her bachelor’s degree from University of North Carolina-Chapel Hill.