Michael T. “Mike” Marr is a member of the firm’s Complex Civil and Commercial Litigation, Class Action Litigation, False Claims Act Litigation, Business and Commercial Transactions, and White Collar Criminal Defense and Investigations practice groups. Mike has over 20 years of legal experience representing a wide variety of clients including real estate and construction firms, technology companies, government contractors, health care practices and providers, law firms and individual attorneys, national and regional insurers, and business owners and executives. He has represented clients in the state and federal courts in Virginia, Maryland, the District of Columbia, and North Carolina. He has significant experience in alternatives to litigation in resolving parties’ disputes.
Prior to receiving his law degree, Mike was the owner of a small manufacturer, a financial planner, and a commercial real estate agent. These practical experiences allow him to provide clients with real world advice and guidance.
Mike is a member of the Virginia State Bar, the Fairfax County, Virginia Bar Association, the McLean, Virginia Bar Association, the Maryland State Bar, the Maryland State Bar Association, and the Bar Association of Montgomery County, Maryland. He also is affiliated with the Fairfax County, Virginia Foster Care and Adoption, Department of Family Services as a foster and adoptive parent.
- Best Lawyers in America© for Medical Malpractice Defense (2013-2021)
Publications and Presentations
- You Say Independent Contractor; Virginia Says Employee (LinkedIn; June 2020)
- Limited Legal Risks in the Practice of Dentistry (Rappahannock Valley Dental Society, January 15, 2018)
- Hot Topics in Employment Law & Benefits (Virginia Society of CPA’s Business & Industry Conference, Williamsburg, VA, May 15, 2017)
- Are Exotic Dancers Employees or Independent Contractors? Fourth Circuit Says they are Employees (LinkedIn, June 14, 2016)
- Latest & Greatest in Employee Benefits: Who is the Employee, Who is the Employer, and What Happens Next? (Virginia Society of CPA’s Business & Industry Conference, Williamsburg, VA, May 23, 2016)
- Employee Misclassification Continues to Make News (LinkedIn, October 27, 2015)
- Amazon Makes a Splash and Joins the “Gig” Economy (LinkedIn, October 7, 2015)
- Competence, Communication & Conflicts (present with Minnesota Lawyers Mutual Insurance Company (avoiding malpractice and ethics complaints) Leesburg, VA, September 2, 2015)
- The Joint Employer Doctrine Strikes Again (LinkedIn, September 2, 2015)
- Discrimination by Association, It’s Illegal (LinkedIn, August 31, 2015)
- Independent Contractor or Employee: Do You Pass the “Economic Realities” Test? (LinkedIn, August 3, 2015)
- Serving Two Masters: Fourth Circuit Recognizes the Joint Employment Doctrine (LinkedIn, July 24, 2015)
- Running a Business in the Digital Age: Things Have Changed, But Not at All (Virginia Society of CPA’s Business & Industry Conference, May 13, 2015)
- Virginia (2003)
- Maryland (2016)
- North Carolina (1998)(inactive)
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the D.C. Circuit
- U.S. District Courts in Virginia, Maryland, North Carolina, and the District of Columbia
- U.S. Bankruptcy Courts for Virginia, Maryland, and the District of Columbia
- Mike received his Juris Doctor from George Mason University School of Law, where he graduated with honors, and his bachelor’s degree from Washington & Lee University.