A Team Approach to Government Relations and Lobbying
RWL’s Legislative and Government Relations practice integrates experienced legal analysis with a sophisticated understanding of the administrative, legislative and procurement processes, providing clients with meaningful opportunities for success. Recognized for our substantive “team approach,” ability to develop creative solutions, and deep expertise with Maryland state, county, and local governments, RWL is well positioned to assist clients with government relations and lobbying efforts in Annapolis and throughout Maryland.
Members of the Government Relations practice are seasoned legislative and executive branch lobbyists representing numerous local, national and international businesses and non-profits before Maryland’s state, county and local/municipal governments. Past government experience includes: Chief of Staff to Prince George’s County Executive; counsel to Maryland Senate Budget and Taxation Committee; member of Governor’s lobbying team; lobbyist for major local government; People’s Zoning Counsel for local government; and legislative fiscal staff.
RWL also is a contributing author for the Maryland chapter of the Thomson Reuters legal lobbying handbook, entitled Lobbying, PACs and Campaign Finance: 50 State Handbook (Thomson West ed. 2021).
Comprehensive Lobbying and Legislative Solutions
RWL’s government relations work includes direct lobbying, monitoring legislative activities and advising clients of the status of pending and anticipated measures, analyzing the impact of legislative proposals on client interests, drafting legislation and testimony, preparing witnesses for hearings, testifying on behalf of clients before legislative committees, representing clients in investigations, developing and coordinating coalitions of organizations, and organizing grassroots support.
Areas of Expertise
RWL’s areas of expertise include:
- New and Emerging Industries
- Business Development
- Technology and E-commerce
- Public-Private Partnerships
- Health Care and Human Services
- Natural Resources
- Board of Public Works
- Higher Education
- Energy Industry
- Real Estate
- Tax Policy
- Cannabis Industry
- Government Contracts
- Election Law
Click here to see a representative list of RWL’s Government Relations and Lobbying current and former clients named in public ethics filings or public proceedings allowing for the use of their names.
- Led the effort to gain necessary legislative and administrative approvals for Dominion’s LNG export facility at Cove Point in Lusby, Maryland, which to date is the state’s largest capital project
- Successfully represented Columbia Gas in obtaining federal and state regulatory approvals to build a 21-mile pipeline through the Baltimore metro region, working with a host of elected leaders, neighborhood associations, and regulatory agencies
- Shepherded Uber’s legislative bid to expand its ride sharing business to Maryland
- Helped facilitate passage of the Maryland Offshore Energy Act of 2013 (HB 226)
- Lobbyist for the successful effort to have the Washington Redskins, the third most valuable NFL franchise, move to Landover, Maryland
- Instrumental in passing legislation that reduced closing costs for Maryland home buyers