Alan M. Rifkin, Managing Partner of Rifkin Weiner Livingston LLC (RWL), founded RWL in 1989 after serving as Counsel and Chief Legislative Officer to former Governor William Donald Schaefer and after previously serving in the same capacity to the Senate of Maryland.
Mr. Rifkin is Chair of the firm’s Sports Franchise and Media Rights practice and Co-chair of the firm’s Business and Commercial Transactions practice. He is a well-recognized commercial and business attorney who has represented many national and international corporations and institutions for over three decades. His current areas of practice include business and commercial transactions, complex civil and commercial litigation, sports franchise and media rights, class action suits, and false claims act cases.
Mr. Rifkin served as Chairman of SCG Legal, an international network of prominent law firms with members in every state capital, many commercial cities and over 80 countries worldwide, in 2014-2015. Currently, he is a member of the Board of Directors for the Cal Ripken, Sr. Foundation, the Aspire Foundation and Ripken Enterprises, LLC. Previously, he has served on the Board of Directors for the Baltimore Symphony Orchestra Board, Loyola University, the Howard County Hospital Foundation, the Cal Ripken, Sr. Collegiate Baseball League and other civic institutions.
- Representated Ripken Enterprises, LLC in a sports facilities deal with the Disney Corporation for the establishment of “The Ripken Experience at Disney World” for the hosting of youth baseball tournaments and facilities
- Contributed as a consulting witness and expert for the Baltimore Orioles and the Mid-Atlantic Sport Network in an arbitration matter before Major League Baseball
- Represented the Maryland Jockey Club and The Stronach Group, owners of the Pimlico Race Course and the Preakness Stakes® in eminent domain litigation involving Baltimore City
- Led a negotiating team for the Maryland Jockey Club, The Stronach Group and the Preakness Stakes® for a $375 million public/private partnership for the rebuilding of Pimlico Race Course and Laurel Park
- Represented the Tufton Group in the negotiations with a local municipal government concerning improvements to the City of Aberdeen’s Minor League Baseball Stadium, home of the Aberdeen Ironbirds
- Provided consultative legal services to a Canadian Olympic equestrian rider in defense of an alleged doping disqualification before the Court of Sports Arbitration
- Outside counsel to various professional sports franchises and sports networks, including: the Baltimore Orioles, Mid-Atlantic Sports Network (MASN®), Maryland Jockey Club and the Preakness Stakes®, among others
- Represented the Baltimore Orioles in negotiations with Major League Baseball concerning compensation for the Orioles in connection with the relocation of the Washington Nationals to Washington, D.C.
- Negotiated the Baltimore Orioles’ spring training facilities lease with Sarasota County, Florida
- Negotiated numerous media rights and sponsorship agreements for professional sports teams and enterprises
- Represents the Maryland Jockey Club, owners of the Preakness Stakes® and Pimlico Race Course in a wide variety of commercial, regulatory and litigation matters
- Represented the Washington Redskins on a variety of matters, including the proposed relocation of the franchise from Washington, D.C. to Maryland
- In the area of complex civil and commercial litigation, represented the widow of one of the U.S. Postal workers who died as a result of contact with the now-infamous “anthrax letters” mailed to the United States Congress
- Represented numerous business, commercial and institutional interests in actions involving the state of Maryland and its agencies
- Represents numerous business and commercial interests on a wide variety of matters
PLEASE BE AWARE THAT EACH CASE IS DIFFERENT AND THE PAST RECORD IS NO ASSURANCE OF FAVORABLE RESULTS IN ANY FUTURE CASE.
- Recognized as a Lifetime Achievement Recipient by America’s Top 100 Attorneys (2020)
- Recognized by U.S. News and World Report’s Best Lawyers (2020)
- Recognized by the Daily Record as one of 50 “Influential Marylanders” and one of the five most influential lawyers (2007, 2019)
- Rated AV Preeminent by Martindale-Hubbell
- Acknowledged by Martindale-Hubbell as one of Maryland’s “Top Litigators” for lifetime achievement (2015)
- Recognized as one of Maryland’s best lawyers by Super Lawyers® Magazine every year from 2008
- Recognized by Legal Leaders® magazine every year since 2010
- Elected Chairman of SCG Legal international law network by peers from law firms around the world (2014/2015)
- Awarded Governor’s Salute to Excellence (1989)
- Honored by Shock Trauma Associates, P.A., Morgan State University, the Economic Forum of Howard County, the Chimes and others
Publications and Presentations
- Adjunct professor, “Sports and the Law”, at the University of Maryland Carey School of Law (2018, 2019, 2020)
- Moderator and panel presenter on “Cracks in the Armor – Recent Legal Challenges to Professional and Collegiate Sports Governance Associations” at the SCG Legal annual international law conference (2016)
- Panel presenter on “Convergence of Law and Arbitration” before the Maryland State Bar Association (MSBA) annual convention (2015)
- Guest lecturer for the “Sports Law Symposium” for the Maryland Carey Law Entertainment, Arts, and Sports Law Association at the University of Maryland Carey School of Law (2016)
- Guest lecturer at the University of Maryland School of Law on negotiating strategy and commercial transactions (2014)
- Guest lecturer before the Maryland Institute for Continuing Professional Education of Lawyers (MICPEL) on sports law (2007)
- Former adjunct professor of State Government and Constitutional Law, Loyola University
- Maryland (1982)
- U.S. District Court for the District of Maryland (1983)
- U.S. Supreme Court (2007)
Mr. Rifkin received his Juris Doctor from the University of Maryland School of Law and his bachelor’s degree from Loyola College of Baltimore summa cum laude.
- Counsel and Chief Legislative Officer to Maryland Governor William Donald Schaefer (1986-1988)
- Director, Governor Schaefer’s Transition Team for Legal and Legislative Affairs (1986)
- Counsel and Chief Legislative Assistant to Maryland Senate President, Melvin A. “Mickey” Steinberg (1985-1986)
“I have worked with Alan and his firm for several years on a number of substantial matters. Time and again, I have been impressed by their deep dedication to their clients’ interests and strategic vision. They represent their clients with professionalism, zealous advocacy and great skill.”
–Rachel Thorne, Partner, Cooley LLP
“Alan Rifkin, Arnold Weiner and the members of their firm are outstanding attorneys. They practice law like professional chess players – blending the natural instincts of litigators with the talents of very sophisticated business lawyers.”
–Peter G. Angelos, Law Offices of Peter G. Angelos and Baltimore Orioles Owner