Brad I. Rifkin co-chairs the firm’s Government Relations and Lobbying division and is a member of the Sports Law, Gaming and Facilities, and Complex Civil and Commercial Litigation practice groups, where he has represents clients with a wide array of statutory, regulatory, funding and procurement interests in industries ranging from alcohol manufacturing, automobile dealer, cannabis, casino-gaming, credit service businesses, energy, franchise laws, healthcare, innovative technology, insurance, investment services and platforms, non-profit organizations, rental cars, ride-sharing, ride-hailing, sports franchises and facilities.
Prior to joining the firm full-time in 2013, Brad was named President to the Cal Ripken, Sr. Collegiate Baseball League (still currently in that role) after previous work for the Baltimore Orioles and Milwaukee Brewers. He also serves as a Board Member to the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation – Maryland Chapter and is a member of the Maryland State Bar Association.
- Successfully assisted clients navigating Maryland’s budget process to obtain critical funding (both capital and operating).
- Lead lobbyist on successful passage of complex and high-profile medical cannabis legislation, expanding ownership rights and advancing in-state research capabilities for licensees in partnership with academic institutions. In addition, worked with industry colleagues, legislators and staff on the development of Maryland’s Adult Use program – including efforts to grandfather in of the existing medical industry.
- Lead lobbyist securing the successful passage of legislation modernizing alcoholic beverage laws on behalf of Maryland’s craft beer manufacturers – including the statutory reform of Maryland’s beer franchise laws for the first time since 1974. In addition, led the effort for the successful passage of legislation during COVID, granting Maryland distilleries and breweries the temporary right to direct ship their products using common carriers, to deliver their products using employees and to sell their products to-go without restrictive limits (law still in effect).
- Co-lead lobbyist on the successful passage of transformative legislation creating the first statutory and regulatory framework for peer-to-peer ridesharing in the nation.
- Lead lobbyist on successful passage of legislation creating a statutory framework for Maryland’s private sector industrial hemp industry.
- Lead lobbyist on successful passage of legislation authorizing new class of street-legal vehicle in Maryland (“autocycle”).
- Worked on successful passage of legislation that will keep the Preakness Stakes in Baltimore City, redeveloped Pimlico and Laurel racetracks, and helped advance the long-standing interests of the Park Heights community.
- Worked on the successful passage of legislation to enable sports wagering in Maryland.
- Chambers & Partners, State and Local Government Relations (USA – Nationwide) (2023)
- Best Lawyers in America, Ones to Watch (2021, 2022, 2023)
- Maryland Super Lawyers (2023)
- VIP (Very Important Professional) List Award, The Daily Record (2021)