Charles S. Fax is the chair of the firm’s Class Action Litigation and False Claims Act Litigation practice groups. His experience includes litigating business and corporate/contractual disputes, including business fraud, government procurements, insurance coverage disputes, False Claims Act cases, business defamation, and executive employment claims. He also represents plaintiffs and defendants in consumer class actions and civil rights litigation. Representative clients include public and closely held corporations, broker-dealers, trustees, law firms, and business executives and employees.
Chuck served as an Adjunct Professor of Law at the University of Baltimore School of Law from 2010-2015, and authored a regular column on recent developments in civil procedure for the American Bar Association Section of Litigation magazine “Litigation News” from 2008-2018. He is the co-author, with United States District Judge Paul W. Grimm and Paul Mark Sandler, Esq., of “Litigation Problems and Their Solutions” (ABA Publishing 2020) – a widely cited textbook on civil discovery in federal courts, now in its fourth edition. He, Judge Grimm and Mr. Sandler are also co-authors of “Maryland Litigation Problems and Solutions,” published by the Maryland Bar Association, now in its second edition. From 2017-2019, Chuck served as a member of the Federal Monitorship Team for General Motors Company. Commencing in 2019 through the present, Chuck is serving as a senior member of the Federal Monitorship Team for the New York City Housing Authority.
- Co-lead plaintiffs’ class counsel in Simon, et al. v. Republic of Hungary, et al., 812 F.3d 127 (D.C. Cir. 2016), a worldwide putative class action by Hungarian-born survivors of the Hungarian Holocaust in World War II against the Hungarian government and its national railway, seeking reparations
- Co-lead plaintiffs’ class counsel in Chambers, et al. v. Whirlpool, et al., 2016 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 140839 (C.D. Cal. Oct. 11, 2016), a nationwide class action against Whirlpool Corporation and Sears Roebuck alleging defectively designed dishwashers that can lead to combustion
- Represented the Governor of the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico and the Administrator of the Puerto Rico prison system in Morales Feliciano v. Rosello Gonzalez, 13 F. Supp. 2d 151 (D.P.R. 1998), a class action alleging that the health care delivery system in Puerto Rico’s 44 prisons violated the Eighth Amendment proscription against cruel and unusual punishment
- Represented lead defendant in largest alleged tax shelter fraud of its time, Weil v. Markowitz, 829 F.2d 166 (D.C. Cir. 1987)
- Presenter, Jewish National Fund-USA Lawyers for Israel lecture series regarding Simon, et al. v. Republic of Hungary, et al., 812 F.3d 127 (D.C. Cir. 2016), a worldwide putative class action by Hungarian-born survivors of the Hungarian Holocaust in World War II against the Hungarian government and its national railway, seeking reparations (2021). Link to lecture: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBXqdqcJhCc
- Maryland Super Lawyers, Business Litigation (2023)
- Holds an AV Preeminent® peer-review rating through Martindale-Hubbell since 1995
- Listed in the Who’s Who in America and Who’s Who in American Law publications since 2001
- Named Greater Washington’s “Legal Elite” by Washington Smart CEO magazine (2006)
- Named as a Washington, D.C. and Maryland SuperLawyer® since 2009
- National Vice President and Member of National Board of Directors, Jewish National Fund (2008-present)
- Honoree, America’s Top 100 Bet-the-Company Litigators® (2019-2021)
- “America’s Top 100 Attorneys” Lifetime Achievement Award (2021)