A Team Approach to Government Relations and Lobbying
The Rifkin Weiner Livingston LLC (RWL) Legislative and Government Relations practice integrates substantive legal analysis with a sophisticated understanding of the administrative and legislative processes, providing real leadership in developing client successes. Recognized for our “team approach” and creative solutions, and benefiting from a wealth of state and local government experience, RWL is well positioned to assist clients with government relations and lobbying efforts in the State House and throughout Maryland.
Members of the Government Relations practice are seasoned legislative and executive branch lobbyists representing numerous clients before the Maryland General Assembly, Maryland executive and procurement agencies, and local governments. Past government experience includes: Chief of Staff to Prince George’s County Executive; counsel to Maryland Senate Budget and Taxation Committee; member of Governor’s lobbying team; lobbyist for major local government; people’s zoning counsel for local government; legislative fiscal staff.
Additionally, RWL is a contributing author for the Maryland chapter of the Thomson Reuters legal lobbying handbook, entitled Lobbying, PACs and Campaign Finance: 50 State Handbook (Thomson West ed. 2020).
Comprehensive Lobbying & Legislative Solutions
Our government relations work includes direct lobbying, monitoring legislative activities and advising clients of the status of pending and anticipated measures, analyzing the impact of legislative proposals on client interests, drafting legislation and testimony, preparing witnesses for hearings, testifying on behalf of clients before legislative committees, representing clients in investigations, developing and coordinating coalitions of organizations, and organizing grassroots support.
On behalf of our clients, RWL has successfully undertaken efforts to shape legislation in a broad range of areas, including business development, trademark protection, technology and e-commerce, communications, corporate law, higher education, energy, procurement, government contracts, public-private partnerships, health and human services, natural resources, public works, real estate, tax and transportation.
Regularly representing our clients before the legislative and executive branches of the state of Maryland and its major subdivisions, RWL can:
- Draft proposed legislation for presentation to committees of the Maryland General Assembly
- Develop strategy for presentation of issues to members of the Legislature
- Coordinate activities of trade associations and members to properly present positions
- Prepare and present testimony at hearings
- Provide media and community relations support for legislative activities
- Conduct executive branch lobbying on regulations, executive orders, business development, public private partnerships and procurement
Notable Representations by Our Attorneys
- Led the effort to gain necessary legislative and administrative approvals for Dominion’s and LNG export facility at Cove Point in Lusby, Maryland which to date is the state’s largest capital project
- Successfully represented Columbia Gas in obtaining federal and state regulatory approvals to build a 21-mile pipeline through Baltimore metro region, working with a host of elected leaders, neighborhood associations and regulatory agencies
- Shepherded Uber’s legislative bid to expand its ride sharing business to Maryland
- Helped facilitate passage of the Maryland Offshore Energy Act of 2013 (HB 226)
- Lobbyist for the successful effort to have the Washington Redskins, the third most valuable NFL franchise, move to Landover, Maryland
- Instrumental in passing legislation that reduced closing costs for Maryland home buyers
Click here to see a representative list of RWL Government Relations and Lobbying current and former clients named in public ethics filings or public proceedings allowing for the use of their names.